Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The Duties Of A Sister


Going away to college, I was excited for myself. I was completely preoccupied with getting out of the house, getting to live on my own, and meeting all the new people on campus. I left little room to worry about how everyone in my family might have felt about me leaving, especially when it came to my sister, Olivia. My mom brought it to my attention a couple days before I left how much my sister was going to miss me. Thanks for that distraction, Mom. Now, at school, when I need to be completely focused on homework, quizzes, and exams, I find myself constantly worrying about my little sister. She's only thirteen years old, and she struggles with the drama and stress that comes along with Middle School life. She will text me sometimes asking me for advice and counsel, but when I call her she acts as if nothing is bothering her. This only brings me worry and concern, and I feel like I have left my sister without a good role model at one of the most important and crucial times in her life. This distracts me from school anytime she crosses my mind because I feel like I did not do my duty as her older sister, and of course now that I am gone I am beginning to realize how vital of a role a big sister plays in the life of a little sister. I guess I can only hope that she learned from the little time she got from me and learn as she goes. I have to worry about myself too and I must find a way to focus on my school work. Failing would only be setting a bad example for my sister, and that's the last thing she needs right now.

Signing out- Xay.

No comments:

Post a Comment